Monday, March 13, 2017

An Agreeable Tyrant Exhibit Photos

Last week Brian the Engineer had a two-day work trip to DC, and I decided to go with him so that I could finally get to the DAR Museum for the Agreeable Tyrant exhibit!  I loved it.  If you get a chance to see it before it closes April 29, you definitely should!

I won't say much about it because this post will have a ton of pictures.  If I talk about them all it will take me forever to write, and I have so much sewing to do before Saturday!  But you can read more about it on Carolyn's blog, as she was one of the people working behind-the-scenes on the exhibit and even re-created one of the ensembles!  I also got to have lunch with her while I was in DC, which was lovely.  Anyway, here are (some of) my photos from the exhibit - I nearly killed my camera battery (and my feet) but it was so worth it!

First of all, the building itself is just gorgeous:

How awesome would it be to have a period ball in this room?  

Obligatory mirror selfie

And in the center of the building is a beautiful library!


The view from the second floor:




I loved the staircases, too:


And now for the exhibit!


The dressed mannequins are sprinkled throughout the period rooms of the museum, which makes it very cool to see the fashions in context:





























Shoe!  




















 
Not all of the period rooms had dressed mannequins in them, but all of them had something interesting to see!  For example, this children's playroom:



I especially loved this cat driving the carriage:


If you look closely, you can see the look on my face when I see dolls.  















Oh, also - sprinkled throughout the building were several exquisite doll houses!  This one was my favorite:


I loved the hinged walls, and how it had a window for every room:


And furniture on the balconies outside:


A selection of the rooms inside:





Did I mention the gorgeousness of the building?















There were also several glass display cases filled with accessories, like these fabulous shoes:






The fans!  Oh, be still my heart!





How cool are these funky-shaped spangles?










By the way, if you cannot get to the exhibit to see all these lovely ensembles in person, you can buy the catalog, which has gorgeous photos as well as scaled patterns of a selection of the garments so you can make your own version!  I personally am dying to recreate the purple velvet spencer above.

4 comments:

  1. So. Many. Pretty. Things. Thank you so much for sharing! I'll definitely check out the catalogue - I've seen the 'Reigning Men' catalogue for sale over here, so hopefully this one has made it across the pond too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very nice catalog, so I hope you can get it!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh so lovely!! A local friend got a copy of the catalog so I have my eye on a few of the patterns (that darling vest like the one Carolyn made, the Italian gown, and that sweet yellow 30s dress -- I've got a bright yellow pink print very similar that's been calling for a similar treatment) but soooo many of these outfits were not photographed in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I could not stop myself from taking pictures of EVERYTHING, and I only included about a third of my photos in this post!

      Delete