Wednesday, July 13, 2016

And Now For Something Completely Different...

I'm taking a break from tailcoats (and commissions in general, though I do have one I'm currently fabric-hunting for) and working on some stuff for ME!  Not costumes, not fancy gowns for special events, but real clothes that I can wear in my day-to-day life.  I have so many patterns and fabrics saved up with plans to make them into clothes for myself, but my sewing time so often gets filled with historical costumes for myself and others.  These more practical projects get put on the back burner, indefinitely.  

Well no more!  I have nearly two months in Iowa, where I am visiting my parents while Brian the Engineer is out to sea (Yes, he retired from the Navy, but his new civilian job also sends him out to sea for weeks at a time.  Go figure.) and I only brought with me the projects I wanted to work on:  

So, you know.  Just a few.
You may notice that several of the patterns I have with me are either true vintage, vintage reprints, or vintage-inspired.  As you can see from the bottom row, I have been on a huge 1940s kick lately, and want to add more Agent Carter flair to my everyday wardrobe.  If I have time, I'll get into the 50s and 60s, but right now this is what's calling to me:


Six patterns should be enough for an entire wardrobe, right?  This should give me:

  • five dresses
  • two skirts
  • two pair trousers
  • two jackets
  • at least three blouses

Add to that a couple of hats and three pairs of shoes that I already own - I think I'm in good shape!

So here's what I have planned, in no particular order:

Plaid wool suit consisting of jacket and skirt, with taupe charmeuse blouse
Chocolate brown gabardine suit of jacket and trousers, blouse fabric yet to be determined
Teal gabardine skirt and trousers with coordinating light teal blouses - I should have enough fabric for at least two.
Silky floral dress
Deep green crepe-back satin dress - this one I'm thinking I'll use the crepe side for the red part and the satin side for the black part in the image shown.  
Gee I wonder what their inspiration was?  :p
Bright blue gabardine dress with white collar - white fabric yet to be determined
Sheer white linen-look with red buttons and trim - very much like the pictured dress.  Will either need to line completely or make separate slip to wear underneath.
I have already finished one dress, which will be my next blog post:

Star-spangled halter dress - so cute and fun to wear!
I'm thinking a couple of the dress patterns can be adapted to make blouse patterns, as well.  I'll be on the lookout for nice blouse fabrics when I go fabric-hunting, but I could use some suggestions.  I like the feel of charmeuse, even if I hate working with it.  I'm thinking I might to to track down some peau de soie - is that the right fabric?  I've made quite a few dresses and skirts for myself, but blouses are rather new to me.

2 comments:

  1. There's some familiar-looking patterns in there! Really looking forward to seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete