Sunday, November 22, 2015

Past Event - Lighthouse Marker Dedication

The Cape Henry Lighthouse dedicated a War of 1812 marker on August 8.  The Regency Society of Virginia was invited to participate and add "historic atmosphere" to the ceremony. 

RSV photo
Brian the Engineer and I arrived a bit late, because our GPS sent us to the wrong place.  But we found it eventually, and managed to catch the second half of the ceremony.  For more photos of what we missed, check out the RSV Facebook page.

Joseph Burroughs, a descendant of War of 1812 era lighthouse keeper Travy Burroughs, with Fort Story's Col. Penree
Retired Colonel Carter Furr laid a wreath from the War of 1812 Society in Virginia.
Nancy Dabney, Cape Henry Lighthouse Site Coordinator, emceed the ceremony.
The original lighthouse with a replica 15-star flag flying in front
After the dedication, we toured the lighthouse and snapped some photos of picturesque spots - of which there were many.

The new Cape Henry Lighthouse is just across the road from the original. 


Inside the lighthouse, we paused for a moment before climbing the steep spiral staircase:



Finally at the top, the view was spectacular!



I made Brian pose for a photo, since he'd done all the work of getting dressed up for me:



One the way back down, I took a picture out of the one window halfway up the tower:


And we got a couple shots with me in the doorway at the foot of the lighthouse:



I wore my new Yellow Sprigged Dress over a chemise, yellow bodiced petticoat, and chemisette.  I accessorized with my painted yellow boots, striped bonnet, and embroidered yellow shawl.  Brian wore his Blue Linen Tailcoat, Green Spotted Waistcoat, Cream Trousers, and a white linen shirt.  His accessories included black riding boots, a vintage black top hat, and a silk cravat.  I will be blogging about all of these menswear pieces soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment