Friday, March 14, 2014

Pocahontas Wedding Jacket Embroidery

This week I had a unique and incredible opportunity.  For those of you who may not know, Historic Jamestowne is putting on a reenactment of the wedding of Pocahontas and John Rolfe on April 5 - the 400th anniversary of the actual event.  The Costume Design Center of Colonial Williamsburg (where I work as a tailor) has partnered up with Jamestowne to create the bride's wedding ensemble.  This includes an intricately embroidered 17th Century sleeved waistcoat, on which volunteers have been busily stitching away since mid-January.  On Wednesday I had a chance to work on the embroidery myself!  For one hour, I got to be part of history.  It was very cool.

All of the pieces are traced onto white linen stretched tightly onto wooden frames.  The full jacket will be assembled after all the embroidery is finished.
This is the back, which is the only piece yet to be finished.  
I chose to work on the upper left corner of the back.  
Here is the section I worked on - before I did any stitching.  
Same section after my hour was up.  I only finished one flower, but I can still say I contributed!  
Want to see more pictures?  I thought you might.




The original paper pattern pieces are kept handy for reference. 


 I can't wait to see the finished garment!

8 comments:

  1. Holeeee Heck, that is gorgeous! And so very cool that you're a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that's amazing! I love all the different creatures on the leaves, rather than a purely botanical design. Hope you can post some pictures of the finished garment, and tell us just how many hours went into the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of Thursday, the count was 1026+ hours by 55 volunteers. And I will definitely be taking pictures of the completed jacket if I am able.

      Delete
  3. That is beautiful. I want to play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a descendant of Pocahontas and John Rolfe. It means a lot to me that so much effort is going into this celebration. I wish I could be there to see it all complete.

    ReplyDelete