Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Past Projects - Deathly Hallows Midnight Showing

My sister Gretchen asked me to make her Gryffindor Quidditch robes for Halloween 2010, so she could also wear them to the midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1.  I modified a cloak pattern I already had to make the mid-calf length robes in scarlet, fully lined in gold.  I used reference images from the first two movies, before they had all kinds of racing stripes on the sleeves and hood.  I did, however, appliqué a large number 4 on the back, per Gretchen's request.

Her friend Kelli also wanted to dress up for the midnight showing, so I made her a Slytherin costume.  For the school robes I only lined the hood and sleeves in green, and painted green lines on silver fabric to make the tie.  I had quite a lot of fun with both costumes, and I was very happy with how they turned out.

Gryffindor vs Slytherin
Who will triumph?  

I actually didn't get any photos from the midnight showing of Part 1, but fortunately both girls wore their costumes again to the midnight showing of Part 2, and I got pictures then.  I also ran out of time to make myself a real costume, so I threw on a purple wig and went as Tonks.  :p

Here we are united in friendship, as the Sorting Hat wanted.  
Silly sisters
Gretchen made our awesome wands!  Here's mine:

I wanted it carved with a leafy vine, similar to Hermione's in the movie.  
Kelli the Slytherin
Gretchen the Gryffindor
Too bad the hood on the Quidditch robes completely covers the number 4!
The Sunday after Part 2 opened, my cousin Melissa happened to be driving through Cedar Rapids, where I was living at the time, and we went to go see it again!  She also brought a Gryffindor costume, and let me borrow her tie so I could go as Ginny.  We were the only ones dressed up for a Sunday matinee, but what did we care?

Making final adjustments in the parking lot
We also felt that we needed to bring Harry Potter library books, as props.
After the movie, we went back to my apartment and did a little photo shoot under a tree.  Melissa's boyfriend Ross was kind enough to take all these pictures for us.

Just a group of Gryffindors studying under a tree.
Ross was getting artsy with a bug's-eye view
Whatever I was reading must have been fascinating!
Really, Hogwarts should use these shots in a brochure...
Now, for the Part 1 midnight showing I made my famous butterbeer, which is a warm drink best served in winter.  But since Part 2 came out in July, and it was boiling hot, I made pumpkin juice instead!

They were a little skeptical at first...
Cheers!
It was delicious!  And quite refreshing.  :)  
If anyone's interested, I can post my butterbeer recipe (and the one for pumpkin juice, if I can find it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment